Thursday, October 10, 2013

House Renovation Part 1

House Renovation Part 1

 For most of my life I drove by the same house everyday.  For  the more recent fifteen years the house sat vacant as I watched it become more overgrown and run down.  So, in 2008 I took action.  I started my investigation to contact who owned the property.  While asking around town several people informed me that the owner would not sell.  He had been contacted numerous times over the years and he refused to sell.   When I contacted the owner it turned out that his wife had passed way a few months prior and he was finally ready to sell.  The house had been her dream and she had always hoped they would move back someday.  My father being a contractor went with me to see the house and checked all the vitals.  The house was free of termites and mold (etc.), the basement was dry, and, most importantly, it was NOT leaning. So began our journey to bring new life to an old farmhouse.

Views from the front of the house when we bought it (July 2008)
 

Yes, there is a house behind there!

The siding was peeling paint and falling off...the house was in rough shape to put it nicely..










The purchase price left us with the money needed for a full renovation.  The house would be completely gutted and rebuilt (stripped to the studs).  Renovations started immediately, beginning with the front shrubs being ripped out and removing the tree that was too close. A gentleman walking by our house one day stopped, turned and said "I never even knew there was a house behind there!"


Shrubs are out..


& the tree is gone!


When I first saw the inside it was dated and worn. Dad said there wasn't any insulation and the windows were single pane, so a full gut was in order. The house originally had 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, kitchen, dining room, living room & family room.  Here are a few before pictures..







Dining Room




Family Room




There was a 'hallway' from the living room to the kitchen.  In the middle was the door to the basement as well.  The ceiling was too low for my husband and not wide enough. We eventually moved the basement door and closed the hallway, which allowed for more room in the kitchen & living room.


Check back for Part 2 of our renovation story!

No comments:

Post a Comment